Inspire Others, Inspire Yourself!

Welcome to the official blog for the Alexandria Mentoring Partnership in Alexandria, Virginia,

AMP was founded in 2006 and today represents over 10 programs, supporting over 300 mentors and 400 youth. As anyone who has worked with children knows, each day brings something new.

Here, we celebrate the amazing work and progress of all of our programs, volunteers, and youth. Learn about upcoming events, read inspiring stories, and share how being a mentor has changed your life too.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ariel, 2009 SOHO Graduate:



What SOHO did for me:
  • SOHO made my room look pretty;
  • I learned art and etiquette;
  • I met new friends;
  • I learned about nutrition, the human body, making wise choices and interacting positively with others;
  • I went ice skating and loved it (even though I fell a few times);
  • I went to a fancy Tea Party and practiced all of my etiquette skills.
I really, really, really like SOHO. I haven’t missed a SOHO meeting all year. Coming to SOHO on Thursdays is the highlight of my week. SOHO has been an awesome program and I really love my room.

Becky, Ariel’s Mentor:

What SOHO did for me:
  • SOHO introduced me to 14 wonderful 5th grade girls and their equally wonderful mentors – a fun, smart, talented diverse group of women and girls that I will never forget;
  • One SOHO girl in particular, Ariel, has taught me to notice the small things in life- the brilliance of colors, the innocence of youth, and the wonder of our imaginations;
  • Thanks to SOHO staff and volunteers like Linda and Anne, I was reminded that through the collective efforts of many caring folks, a program like SOHO can exist and can make our community a better, safer and more hopeful place that is blind to race, color, income or age;
  • Thanks to out volunteer art teachers like Leslie, Kathleen and Malone – I learned many new art skills;
  • SOHO reminded me that, just like the SOHO girls, I was about their age, I too learned how to sew (although most of the SOHO girls are better at it then me);
  • I went ice skating and to a fancy tea party, but most importantly, I became part of a very special group. For two plus hours each Thursday night, my cell phone and blackberry were turned off, and all that mattered was the mentoring, bonding, fun and art projects taking place inside The Art League’s Annex in Alexandria.
I really, really, really like SOHO. Coming to SOHO on Thursdays has been highlight of my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment